While I know that teaching is a very hard job, not a day goes by that numerous children don’t mention to me that a teacher said something mean to them. They are hurt daily, feel overly controlled and I have seen it affect children’s mood and self esteem. Many kids mention to me that the teacher doesnt like them and sometimes its true and sometimes its the way the teacher says things. I think it’s important for teachers and parents to realize that children perceive things as mean that we as adults might not think are mean.
And Marya @havalah on twitter a wonderful teacher suggests most importantly ” if you do make a mistake as we all do….Let’s apologize when we hurt a child, even if it’s in front of everyone. After all we are the grown-ups and responsible one
How to become a Behavior and Feelings Detective and 100’s of new techniques to Raise Amazing Kids
Dear Teachers and Parents, if you have additional ideas or stories please send them our way and I will add them!
• Parents and Teachers are children’s most powerful role models to teach children how to be happy, handle stress and to be resilient.
• If we teach our kids one way to behave, but as adults we behave another way, we are sending unhealthy mixed messages.
• As Teachers and Parents we should behave the way that we want our kids to copy.
Show, Dont Tell, Be a Role Model. Children do what we do, not what we tell them to do.
• Every time we correct a child’s behavior we are hurting their feelings, so requesting new
behavior in a positive way gains their cooperation, respect and improves self esteem.
• Become a Feelings & Behavior Detective to Create Happier Healthier Kids. Understand that
hard feelings are expressed in a child’s behaviors and those feelings need to be talked about to improve the behavior.
• Every Feeling Turns Into a Behavior: when not Listened to or Talked about and every behavior is an expression of a hidden feeling.
• Teachers ask yourselves ”what can I change about myself, so my classroom’s behavior changes”
Download the printable chart of 40 different ways to gain cooperation without hurt feelings
Here is the Music Player. You need to installl flash player to show this cool thing!
Join us to become Behavior Detectives to improve your child's behavior!E mail us for your free gift when you join and purchase a book or song.
Latest on Twitter